Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Plaque



After my mother died, I divided her belongings among family members. There was one thing, however, that I especially wanted for myself—a simple brown plaque with gold writing. She displayed it in the various homes we lived in over the years. It’s message? Prayer Changes Things.
And where did I place it? An unusual place: above the mirror in the bathroom, directly across from the toilet seat. This reminded me several times a day that prayer does indeed change things.
About the time I hung the plaque, one of our daughters was in love with a man many years older than she. When she came home, they spent hours each evening on cross-country phone calls. A marriage seemed inevitable. As parents, we hoped and prayed for a husband closer to her age.
Despite my anxiety, the plaque reminded me: Prayer Changes Things. As I read those words, I’d say, “Lord, I don’t see how You can change this, but I know You can do anything. If this match isn’t Your best for her, change her desires.
A few months later, our daughter broke off the relationship. God does indeed change things that we humans cannot.
God has not yet brought His choice mate into our daughter’s life, but I believe He will. And He helped her avoid a wrong choice.
Now, I have a different kind of problem that to me seems insurmountable. However, I believe it too will be resolved, for I know Prayer Changes Things.

No comments: